Mental Health Awareness Week 14-20 May
Posted: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:26
This week is Mental Health Awareness Week - the theme is 'Stress'
- 1 in 4 people will experience some form of mental health problem at some point in their life
- 1 in 6 adults has a mental health problem at any one time
- 1 in 10 children aged 5 and 16 years has a mental health problem, many continue into adulthood
- Half of those with lifetime mental health problems first experience symptoms by the age of 14
Mental health problems can affect the way you think, feel and behave. If you have problems with your mental health, you might feel sad, worried, confused, angry, frightened, hopeless, isolated – even ashamed and worthless.
Having a mate in your corner can make all the difference. It could be the difference between missing out on the things you care about to getting the support you need to get better.
You don't have to be an expert. Here are three simple ways you can do it:
- Reach out – a conversation, text or call goes a long way
- Listen, don't judge
- Do something together